I am an excellent manuscript editor–aiding writers to develop their own voices while ensuring the highest standards in concept, narrative structure, and dialog.
I am a skilled copywriter with particular experience in television scriptwriting, online content, and explaining technical subjects to a non-technical audience.
Those are my primary strengths, but my experience has taught me that I can write almost anything–from obituaries to PowerPoint to standup comedy.
I spent 20 years at ABC News-working for Good Morning America News and Nightline and producing stories from all corners of the world: the US Presidential Election,The Fall of the Berlin Wall , Apartheid in South Africa, Tienanmen Square. I’ve written and edited anchor copy for Ted Koppel, Wolf Blitzer, and Aaron Brown; produced, written, or researched over a dozen documentaries, and been published online at MSNBC.com, CNN.com, and UPI. My work has been recognized by the highest awards in my profession: Emmys, DuPonts, Peabodys, and Tellys among others.
After becoming a freelancer in 1993, I authored a CD-ROM History of the World, was an executive in two dotcom startups, and designed and demonstrated a prototype of ‘Global Business Network’: an online executive education and research resource. I have created videos, marketing plans, white papers, and brochures for many clients, including the American Trucking Associations, Porter-Novelli, Cisco, Asgard Technology, Maslow Media, and The Harvard Club.
I believe that my best work is the dozens of young journalists, producers, and writers who have told me that my mentoring and instruction was a key factor in their later career.
Recommendations from many of those who have worked for me, a complete CV, video resume reel, and samples of my writing can be seen at http://www.linkedin.com/in/tirving
1. Analysis of broad problems: after a complete read of your manuscript (plot structure, characterization, genre aspects, pacing, etc) is a single charge of $400. 50% in advance and 50% at completion. Only PayPal accepted. (I’m not going to walk away after the initial analysis so we will continue to discuss your book without further charge unless it gets silly. We’ll both know when that happens.)
2. A line by line rewrite. $500 daily rate (Example: 300 pages, 80,000 words, 5 Days at $500 per day = $2500.) 50% of estimated cost in advance and remainder at completion. Only PayPal accepted. Again, further discussion and changes are included until the ‘silliness’ clause kicks in (see #1).
3. Ghostwriting. You supply the characters, plot, location, genre and major plot points and I will write your book. $500 per day actual time spent. $1000 in advance and remainder on completion. Only PayPal accepted. One full second draft is included at a rate of $250 per day. Additional drafts are at full day rate.
1. $500 per day for research and writing. I do not offer ‘half-days.’
2. $500 (one day) in advance, 50% of the amount of days worked upon completion of first draft. Remainder upon completion of second draft.
3, If you specify a limit to the number of days, I will finish a complete draft and will lay out where I think it can be improved with additional time.
4. Please note that all my experience in journalism has trained me to write quickly and in a client’s ‘voice’ and I usually complete the task in fewer days than estimated.
I generally work without a contract but, if you prefer, I will prepare either a Letter of Agreement or a Contract under the standard freelance guidelines as provided by the Editorial Freelancers Association.
On all my work, I will provide a free sample of the assignment–no more than 5 pages–prior to any agreement or fee.
If, in my own judgement, I do not feel that I can create a product up to my professional standards, there is no charge and you are free to use any of my work already completed.
On copywriting, if, at the completion of a first draft, you feel that my work is completely unacceptable, you have the choice of
a) a single complete new concept and rewrite for an additional $500 or
b) severing our working relationship (I retain the advance fee).
If, however, I discover that you have used my writing in substantial degree after ‘rejecting’ it… Well, I don’t expect you will, so why worry about it?
I do not do proofreading. I generally adhere to Chicago Style and will endeavor to give you a error-free manuscript but I would strongly suggest using a proofreader (just as I do) for for the inevitable commas, semi-colons, and typos.
For a book manuscript, I will do a complete read-through of the final proof and provide notes gratis. I’ll have an investment in your work by that point and want it to be the best it can be.