UK-based illustrator Ed Fairburn has created a series of portraits on World War I military maps of the Western Front. In Part I of the series, Fairburn used ink to draw the portraits directly on to the maps (in a style reminiscent of his earlier map portraits). Part II includes additional ink and paper cutting by collaborator Bobbie-Jo. Both series are available at notonthehighstreet.com.
- Incredible New Portraits Carved from Old Military Maps (mymodernmet.com)
- Map Portraits (barbourdesign.wordpress.com)
- I’ll never look at a map the same again… (tarakinghorn.wordpress.com)
- Human Portraits Hidden in the Topography of Maps (neatorama.com)
- Amazing Map Portrait Art (amberleroux.wordpress.com)